10 Fun Outdoor Activities for Your Kids
Keeping your kids occupied when school has let out for the summer isn’t always easy, especially when you want them to get away from the television and video games. Try getting them involved in some of these fun outdoor activities so they’ll get outside and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine:
1. Playing tag. Tag is always a popular game for kids, so have yours get some of their friends together and start a rousing game of it.
2. Going swimming. Take your kids to the local public swimming pool or to the beach and let them spend the afternoon splish-splashing to their heart’s content.
3. Riding bikes. This is a great outdoor workout the whole family can enjoy.
4. Reading books outside. Find a nice shady spot under a tree and have your kids read their favorite books.
5. Going for a walk. Along the way, see how many plants and animals your children can identify correctly. Make a game of that, too!
6. Using sidewalk chalk. Your kids can get as creative and as messy as they want with this artistic medium, and it washes off easily with water.
7. Blowing bubbles. Not only does this improve hand-eye coordination and depth perception, it’s fun! (Even grown ups like to do it.)
8. Going to the playground. The swings, merry-go-rounds and monkey bars are there at the local playground just waiting to be used.
9. Washing the family car. Kids love to do this because they think they’re making a mess, but in reality they are cleaning the car and themselves at the same time.
10. Cloud-watching. How many cloud shapes look like everyday objects?
Finding things for your kids to do outside isn’t that hard at all, once you put your mind to it, and most children will find things to do on their own once they get outside. The trick is to get them out the door!